Churches in Perugia
the establishment of the bishopric, a cathedral existed in Perugia in
different locations, until, in 936-1060, a new edifice, corresponding to
the transept of the present cathedral, was built here. The current
cathedral, dedicated from the beginning as the Cathedral of San
Lorenzo and Sant'Ercolano dates from a project of
1300 by Fra Bevignate that was initiated in 1345 and
completed in 1490. The external decoration in white and pink marble
lozenges (adapted from the Cathedral of Arezzo) was never completed; a
trial section can still be seen on the main façade.
it a section of Roman wall and the basement of the old campanile can be
seen. It houses also the Pietra della Giustizia ("Justice
Stone") bearing a 1264 inscription by which the commune announced that
all the public debt had been repaid. Also on this side is a statue of
Pope Julius III by Vincenzo Danti (1555); Julius was a
hero to Perugia for having restored the local magistrature, which had
been suppressed by Paul III. In the unfinished wall is a portal designed
by Galeazzo Alessi (1568), a pulpit composed of ancient
fragments and Cosmatesque mosaics, from which Saint Bernardino of Siena
preached in 1425 and 1427 and a wooden Crucifix by Polidoro
The church of Sant'
Angelo dates to the V-VI centuries A.D. and it is one of the
most ancient churches in Italy. It was probably built on the remains of
a Roman temple when paganism was decaying and Christianity started to
appear in the territories of the pre-existing Empire.
Churches in Assisi
The Basilica of San Francesco d'Assisi (St. Francis) is a World Heritage Site. The Franciscan monastery, il Sacro Convento, and the lower and upper church (Basilica inferiore e superiore) of St Francis were begun immediately after his canonization in 1228, and completed 1253.
The lower church has frescos by renowned late-medieval artists Cimabue and Giotto; in the Upper church are frescos of scenes in the life of St. Francis by previously ascribed to Giotto and now thought to be by artists of the circle of Pietro Cavallini of Rome. The Basilica was badly damaged by the earthquake of September 26, 1997.
the vault collapsed, killing four people inside the church and carrying
with it a fresco by Cimabue. The edifice and was closed for two years for
Churches of Spello - PG The densely-inhabited town of Spello, built of stone, is of decidedly medieval aspect, and is enclosed in a circuit of medieval walls on Roman foundations, including three Roman Late Antique gates (Porta Consolare, Porta di Venere and the "Arch of Augustus") and traces of three more, remains of an amphitheater, as well several medieval gates. Spello boasts about two dozen small churches, most of them medieval: the most important are:
Santa Maria Maggiore (known from 1159), probably built over an ancient temple dedicated to Juno and Vesta. The façade has a Romanesque portal and a 13th century bell tower, while the pilasters next to the apse have frescoes by Perugino (1512). The most striking feature is however a very fine chapel (Cappella Bella) frescoed by Pinturicchio. The Umbrian artist was called to paint it in 1500 by Troilo Baglioni, after he had just finished the Borgia Apartment's decoration. The cycle include the Annunciation, the Nativity and the Dispute with the Doctors, plus four Sibyls in the vault. The Palazzo dei Canonici, annexed to the church, houses the Town's Art Gallery.
Sant'Andrea (known from 1025). The interior, on a single nave, has 14th century frescoes. There's also a panel by Pinturicchio. San Lorenzo (12th century). San Bernardino da Siena began his preaching season in this church in 1438.
Claudio (11th century or earlier), an elegant example of
Romanesque architecture with a rose window on the asymmetrical façade.
The interior has 14th century votive frescoes from the Umbrian school.
It is said to have been built on the remains of a Paleo-Christian cemetery.
Gubbio is a beautiful medieval city with magnificent well-preserved historical buildings including the Palazzo dei Consoli, the Church of San Francesco, the Church of San Giovanni, the Church of San Pietro, the Logge of the Tiratori, the little Church of the Vittorina ( the place where St. Francis tamed the wolf). The main folkloristic events held here include: the Procession of the Dead Christ ( on Good Friday), the Feast of the Ceri (May 15), the Crossbow Competition (held on the last Sunday of May).
Cathedral Santa Maia Nuova - Gubbio
The facade is simple, but particularly elegant. At the inside of the church, on the skillful wall, lies a fresco called "La Madonna del belvedere" from 1413, realized by Ottaviano Nelli. He realized it after having achieved a technical and constructive maturity which allowed him to perform delightful works and to develop a definitive individuality of style.
This has consecrated him as the exponent of the Gubbio school and the best artist in Umbria and Marche of first half of XV century. On the left wall an image of S.Antonio Abbate of the Palmerucci is found (XIV century). Guido Palmerucci is considered the best painter from Umbria of his period: to him several remerkable works are attributed.
The interior was “re-arranged in the old Gothic style around 1865”. Among the works of art present in the church, several are worthy of mention: “St. Barbara and St. Lucy” by Benedetto Nucci (1st altar on the left) and “The Vocation of St. Peter” (1573) by Giovanni M. Baldassini (2nd altar on the right). The murals in the baptistry chapel were painted in 1828-29 by Gubbio artist Annibale Beni. The stone font is dated 1510. Some remains of Gothic and late Gothic frescoes are visible on the walls of the church.
Basilica of S. Ubaldo: the church, dedicated to St. Ubaldo,
bishop and patron Saint of the town, has a medieval origin, but was
enlarged in 1514 by order of the Duchesses Elisabetta and
Rovere. It has a fine 16th century portal and a
delightful Franciscan cloister. Its interior is divided into five aisles
and on the major altar is placed the Renaissance urn that preserves the
relics of St. Ubaldo, brought here in 1194. In the aisle on the left,
houses the famous Candles of S. Ubaldo which are used during the
celebrations on the 15th of May every year, it is the run of
the Ceri the most important celebration in Gubbio. The candles are
transported in a procession from Piazza Grande to the church of S.Ubaldo.
The Duomo of Orvieto
of the interior is forbidden. The Capella di San Brizio
really does take your breath away, tucked away in the corner.
|Artan Ramaj - Mobile: +39-32895 49342 Home: +39-055 576283 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org|